“Hey everyone, recently I updated my Adobe Photoshop application. Till then, there was no issue in Photoshop tool. But now, I receive “Unexpected File Format” error whenever I use the application. I am looking for quicker solution to solve this problem. Somebody please help me to do.”
It’s pretty natural to receive such errors while working on Adobe. Users need not worry if they face such issues. Read through this article and find better solution to fix this issue.
What causes “Unexpected File Format” Error in Photoshop?
Unexpected file format clearly says that Photoshop is unable to identify the file format of the images. This usually occurs because of –
- Viral infection: PSD files are likely to get affected by viruses and malware, which can corrupt the file header / details of the file making it inaccessible
- Photoshop upgrade: When you try to open PSD file (created in earlier versions) using upgraded version this error may appear
- Insecure third party tool: If an unreliable third party application is utilized to edit a .psd file there are chances of PSD file corruption
- Software conflicts: Sometimes, the application might be having problems due to missing/corrupt program files
- Improper closing of application: Terminating Adobe Photoshop while PSD file is edited
What is the next step?
After getting to know about the causes, you might be worried how to resolve unexpected file format error on Adobe Photoshop? Try few methods mentioned below-
Re-install the Adobe Photoshop application on Windows. After doing it, check whether it functions normally.
- Press Alt+Control+Shift when Photoshop is launched
- Delete the current preference file settings. (New preference files will be created the next time when Photoshop is started)
Solution 3: Boot Windows in Safe mode
Safe mode avoids third party applications interfering with Photoshop. Thereby allowing the application to function normally.
If all three solutions fail to fix the issue. Then possibly the PSD files might be damaged/corrupt. Repair corrupt PSDs using a reliable tool.
Fix corrupt PSD files with Yodot PSD Repair software
This application fixes damaged/corrupt .psd files that creates unexpected file format errors. Some of the Adobe Photoshop versions like 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, CS, CS2, CS3, CS7, CS5 and CS6 are supported by Yodot tool. Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista, Server 2003 and Server 2008 are some of the editions that are compatible with this application.
Procedure to fix PSD files-
- Download Yodot repair tool using this link
- Install and run the program and follow stepwise instructions
- Select the drive that has PSD files which refuse to open normally
- Hit on “Repair” option
- “Preview” the fixed PSD file along with its layer information and save them on destination location
Always remember to-
- Have regular backup as data loss may occur at any time
- Avoid insecure third party editing tools
- Keep antivirus application updated
- Not terminate Photoshop all of a sudden